ERCOUPE
ERCOUPE

Manufacturer

ERCO

Markings:

Pima Air & Space Museum, 2004

Designation:

415C

Registration:

N78X

Serial Number:

1188

ERCO 415C ERCOUPE

Designed by Fred Weick this small two passenger private plane first built in 1939 introduced several revolutionary design elements to the light plane pilots of the day. It was the first General Aviation type aircraft with a tricycle landing gear, was of all metal mono-coupe design with a low wing and when compared to its high wing, tube framed, and fabric covered competitors it looked very sophisticated and modern. However, the most intriguing design element is not visible from outside the aircraft. In its standard form the Ercoupe does not have rudder pedals. The rudder is mechanically linked to the ailerons and turning the control wheel controls both. This virtually eliminates the possibility of spinning the aircraft. The Ercoupe was first sold in 1939, but World War II temporarily stopped production. In 1946, it resumed and Erco built 4,309 of them that year alone. Production continued at significantly lower rates until 1950 when Erco stopped building aircraft. Several other companies have built Ercoupes over the years since and the last one left the assembly line in 1970.

Specifications

  • Wingspan: 30 ft
  • Length: 20 ft 2 in
  • Height: 6 ft 3 in
  • Weight: 1,260 lbs (loaded)
  • Max. Speed: 117 mph
  • Range: 300 miles
  • Engines: 1 C-75-12 piston engine with 75 horsepower
  • Crew: 2